The Cathedral’s $3.5 million organ restoration project is nearing completion.
The two pipe organs, which are located in the sanctuary and in the rear gallery (the choir loft), were restored by Quimby Pipe Organs of Warrensburg, Mo. The E. M. Skinner Organ Company built the sanctuary organ in 1927, and the Æolian-Skinner Organ Company added the Gallery organ in 1963.
The restoration project — which began last September with the dismantling and shipping of the organs — included complete tonal refurbishing of both organs.
Workers moved the new console into the sanctuary Feb. 28 and unloaded the 5,879 pipes — ranging in size from 35 feet to the size of a pencil — that will be installed in the casework in the coming days. The pipes will be pulled up into the gallery Feb. 29. The project is expected to be finished in time for the organ to be played at the Easter Vigil March 30.
The casework in the gallery was designed by Duncan Stroik, professor of architecture at the University of Notre Dame, and crafted by Agrell Architectural Carving of San Rafael, Calif., and Arko Woodworking of Richmond, Calif.
For more information, or to make a donation to the restoration project, visit the Cathedral Heritage Foundation’s organ project page.