Timing for disclosure moved to December

| November 22, 2013 | 0 Comments

Archdiocese says it is ready, but must wait until meeting with Ramsey County judge

The archdiocese’s disclosure of its initial list of clergy members who have substantiated claims of abuse of a minor against them, originally scheduled for November, will be delayed because the court approval needed for the disclosure cannot be obtained by the end of the month.

In a Nov. 22 statement, the archdiocese said it just learned that a meeting with a Ramsey County judge has been scheduled for Dec. 2. The archdiocese is prepared to release information once the judge concurs with its plan.

In a Nov. 11 open letter, Archbishop John Nienstedt said the first phase of the disclosure would be made by the end of November, pending approval from the appropriate court. There has been a protective order in place in Ramsey County District Court since 2009 related to the disclosure.

The list’s release is part of the archdiocese’s previously stated plan to ensure a comprehensive approach to address the issue of clergy sexual misconduct, the archdiocese said.

“Sharing information about clergy who have substantiated claims of sexually abusing minors is a critical element of Archbishop Nienstedt’s commitment to strengthening archdiocesan procedures so that victims can begin to heal and to ensure the safety of minors in our care,” the archdiocese said.

Tags: ,

Category: Local News