Advent: Week 2 — Dec. 9
The following Advent wreath prayer is intended to help busy households make Advent a prayerful time during the rush of Christmas preparations. The language is fairly simple, to be used by groups of adults or adults with children, and options are noted to allow for participation by a variety of members of the household.
Leader: Today begins the second week of the season of Advent. In order to help each of us prepare our own hearts for the birth of Christ, we take these few moments each week to pray together.
- Light the first two candles on the Advent wreath.
- (optional) Read aloud Baruch 5:1-9; Philippians 1:4-6, 8-11; Luke 3:1-6.
Leader: No matter how desperate things get, our faith teaches that if we keep trusting in God and live a life guided by justice, mercy, peace – and especially love – God will keep his promise to us. In the Bible passages for this second week of Advent we are again encouraged to be better people. John the Baptist reminds us that we’d better work seriously to make straight our own paths and to clean up the wastelands in our own lives. Here’s a challenge to each and every one of us:
What one thing will we do differently this week to be a better follower of Jesus?
Leader may read all, or others in the household may each read a segment.
- Father in heaven, this second week of Advent, help us see clearly the times when we have sinned. Accept our sorrow for having pulled away from you, and give us firm resolve to stay close to you.
- God above, help us conduct ourselves in holiness. We long to be the people you expect us to be. Help us as we strive to make our souls blameless and at peace.
- Help us, Lord, to remember that we were baptized for a reason. Help us realize our baptismal call to live as a child of God.
- And, dear God, don’t let us miss chances this week to be welcoming to other people and to work in harmony with everyone. Help us as we try to change our ways so that we are good examples of people who love and follow the Lord.